Committed To Your

  1. Home
  2.  — Partition

Protecting Your Interests In Real Estate Partition Cases

Sharing property ownership with other people can lead to disagreements and contention. California state law has options for co-owners who wish to dissolve their joint ownership. Whether you and your siblings inherited property, jointly own property with a former spouse or have a co-investor in real estate, you have the right to file a partition action.

At Goodkin APC, our Los Angeles County real estate attorneys can help you with the numerous aspects of a partition action. Our experienced lawyers have years of experience helping property owners, investors and developers through Los Angeles County and Orange County protect their property rights. Our firm is known throughout Southern California for providing high-caliber legal services and efficient solutions.

Finding The Best Solution To Meet Your Goals

If you find yourself in a situation where one owner wants to sell your property, but the others refuse, you can file a partition action lawsuit to force the sale or division of the property. Any co-owner of a property can file a partition action in California. The court will consider the nature of the ownership interest and whether a division or sale would be equitable for all parties in making a decision.

California law allows for partitions in kind or by sale. A partition in kind refers to physically dividing the property and does not require the owners to sell it. However, in cases where mortgage or zoning restrictions make division impossible, the court may order a partition by sale. A by sale partition forces the owners to sell the property and divide the sales proceeds.

A partition action is a serious resolution, and you can take steps to avoid or stop the process, including buyout agreements, private agreements between the owners and mediation. In a buyout agreement, the other co-owners buy out another owner’s shares in the property. Mediation is another option that can help you avoid time-consuming and costly partition lawsuits. Our real estate attorneys will thoroughly examine your case and advise you of your options.

We Are Ready To Put Our Experience To Work For You

If you have a property conflict that needs an efficient resolution, you can trust us to put our decades of experience to work for you. Our attorneys will work tirelessly to find a strategy that maximizes your interests and minimizes cost. To schedule a consultation to discuss your case, call us at 310-853-5730 or complete our online contact form.